- 6 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 doves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 or 2 cans 28 ounces diced tomato (drained)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- add salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can dark-red kidney beans drained
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- taco shell
- 8 10 8-10 hard corn taco shells or for less fat oven bake corn tortillas:
- pre-heat oven to 375. wrap corn tortillas in a slightly damp paper towel. microwave to steam for 25 seconds. then, place corn tortillas on your oven racks, so that they drape over the sides. bake for 7-10 minutes or until crispy.
- for the tacos:
- 2 cups finely shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced red or white onion
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes diced
- 1 sliced avocado
- add your favorite salsa
- Heat the pan; add water to sauté the onion, and red bell pepper for 10 minutes or until they are soft. Add the can tomatoes (drained) to pan on low heat, add garlic. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Add chili powder and cumin and stir in.
- Stir in the kidney beans and chickpeas; cook for 10 -15 minutes. Tip: while cooking heat oven bake corn tortillas (Taco Shells) so they are ready when done with this step.
- Prepare the tacos: Place 1/4 cup of the cooked veggies in each taco shell. Top with some shredded lettuce and tomatoes. Add avocado and your favorite salsa if desired. Serve immediately.