A nice hearty bowl of soup along with a delicious salad and some whole grain bread makes a nice evening meal. Below we share a recipe for a vegan minestrone soup that is filled with healthy vegetables that will be simmered for over an hour to bring out maximum flavor.
- 4 cups of vegetable broth or water
- 4 cups tomatoes diced (or equivalent canned)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 zucchini quartered lengthwise and chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 package whole grain pasta noodles or penne pasta
- In a large soup pot combine all the ingredients except for the pasta. Simmer over low heat for at least one hour, or until vegetables are tender. Add the pasta and bring to a slow simmer for an additional 20 minutes or until pasta is done cooking. ENJOY!
For gluten free option use gluten free pasta