- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 package brown lentils about 2 1/4 cups lentils
- 2 cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Bring 3/4 cup broth to a simmer in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook about 8 minutes or until onion is translucent and pepper is tender.
- Stir in chili powder and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add lentils, tomatoes and remaining 7 1/4 cups broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until lentils are almost tender. Uncover and cook 10 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro and serve.