Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas
They are simple to make and very satisfying.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup brown rice cooked
- 8 ounces vegetarian no added oil, re-fried beans
- 1 cup of salsa
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 8 ounces black beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 jalapeño pepper diced (optional and HOT)
- 6-8 whole-wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- An hour before you plan to eat, peel and quarter the sweet potatoes.
- Bake sweet potatoes in the oven for 45 minutes to one hour, until soft.
- In the meantime, prepare rice in a rice cooker or on stove top as directed.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and toss into a mixing bowl. Mash sweet potatoes with the salsa, rice and fresh spinach.
- Place sweet potato mash in a sauce pan and mix in black beans and refried beans, heating mixture thoroughly over medium heat. Add onion powder, chili powder and cumin to taste and stir.
- Place a tortilla in a frying pan on medium heat, and slather the side facing up with sweet potato and bean mixture. Add jalapeños if desired.
- Place another whole wheat tortilla on top. Press down on top tortilla with spatula with pan on medium heat for about 3 minutes. Flip with spatula and cook for another three minutes.
- Voila! Cut into desired number of sections. Serve topped with salsa.
Tip: Also try this with black-eyed peas instead of the black beans or any other favorite beans.