Mock Tuna Sandwich
Prep Time 15 minutes
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons sweet or dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fat-free Soy mayonnaise
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- lettuce optional
- mustard optional
- Mash beans with a bean masher. Place in a bowl and add celery, onions, relish, lemon juice and fat-free tofu mayonnaise. Mix well. Chill to blend flavors. Spread bread with mustard, if desired. Place about 1/2 cup of the spread on four of the bread slices. Add lettuce, tomatoes if desired, close up and eat. Cut up a celery and carrot into sticks and eat with sandwich.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 2 doves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 or 2 cans 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can dark-red kidney beans drained
- 1 can chickpeas drained
FOR THE TACOS:
- 8-10 hard corn taco shells
- 2 cups finely shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced red or white onion
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes diced
- 1 sliced avocado
- Optional: Soy or rice cheese your favorite salsa
- Heat the pan; add water to sauté the onion, and red bell pepper for 10 minutes until they are soft. Add the can tomatoes (drained) to pan on low heat, add garlic. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.
- Add chili powder and cumin and stir in.
- Stir in the kidney beans and chickpeas; cook for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the tacos: Place 1/4 cup of the cooked veggies in each taco shell. Top with some shredded lettuce and tomatoes. Add avocado and your favorite salsa if desired. Serve immediately. Use soy cheese or rice cheese, optional.